Saturday, October 01, 2005

Fallacial Thinking?

"There's a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons that sound good."
~Burton Hillis

My high school science teachers and undergrad logic professors would probably have a field day with me for proposing the thought of life being an MMO, whether I believed it or not.

Correlation does not prove causation....just because something happens to behave a certain way does not mean that it is true of all things....the part is not the whole, nor does it define the whole....so say the fallacies of post hoc ergo propter hoc (after this, therefore because of this), hasty generalization, composition, and a variety of other inductive and causal fallacies.

A lot of my trained philosophical alarms are flashing when I think and write about universal automatism, but my thoughts so far been unable to produce anything to refute its premises or its reasoning, and I haven't been able to produce a counterexample of anything which would demonstrate the ~P of universal automatism: it is not the case that everything is a computation.

Does this make my analogy with MMOs and universal automatism an attempt at forming a reductio ad absurdum argument? Possibly, but that's not my motivation. In exploring as many angles of this analogy as possible, I may also end up corroborating the concept as well.

The philosophical side of me would demand this sort of investigation before adopting universal automatism (or any philosophy) into my worldview. I admit that I like the idea, and that it would explain a lot of things if it were true....but wanting it to be true doesn't make it that way.

My interest is what drives this personal investigation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home